Monday, September 24, 2007

Missionary Monday

"Some men brought to him a paralytic, lying on a mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven." At this, some of the teachers of the law said to themselves, "This fellow is blaspheming!" Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, "Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? Which is easier:
to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up and walk'? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...." Then he said to the paralytic, "Get up, take your mat and go home." And the man got up and went home. When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men." Matthew 9:2-8


Which is easier.... which is easier.... which is more visible.... which is totally invisible and nobody can confirm or deny? Hmmmm..... yesterday in Bible Study and again in Worship service I kept hearing this theme. And I thought of my blog. No, really, I did! I thought of the verse about "Go Home and Tell" and how hard that was for me. I wanted to be more "visible" than a stay-at-home homeschooling Mom. And sometimes it's easier to imagine that we would be great missionaries in China or Bangladesh or Iran or..... but we're just not being honest - or at least I'm not. If I can't do the invisible, unseen things, the things that are harder, the things that no one else can verify or confirm, the things that aren't "important" in the world's eyes, how do I think I could do the task of witnessing anywhere in the world, especially under great hardships? It's the things I need to change in my heart that really show whether I am genuine in my faith. The things no rabbi or neighbor or even family member might ever know. But it's those things Jesus came to die for me for. Not so I could be honored as an outstanding humanitarian or even a good Christian worker or parent or anything else others see. It's the forgiveness of the awful darkness that fills the depths of my heart - that's the miracle more amazing than making a lame man walk - that's the miracle that's worth telling everyone about. That's the miracle worth me changing bad habits and selfish ways for. That's the miracle available to every man, woman and child on the face of this earth. Forgiveness of sins, no matter how many, how often, how unseen. May I never forget that miracle as I meet the dreariness, the hopelessness, the hurt and pain in other's hearts. Never. Wherever. Whenever. HE is there with that miracle waiting to touch that heart like He did (and does) mine. Amazing, unseen, lovely miracle - forgiveness.

No comments: