Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A New Favorite


Yesterday while I was in the kitchen I listened to one of several Allison Krauss' CDs I like - "A New Favorite". It's no longer new but I still enjoy it (sometimes I like them best when I know all the words even though my poor children have to suffer through hearing me try to sing along!). And what was I doing in the kitchen? Making Shelley's Mom's recipe for Pumpkin Butter! I foolishly planted pumpkins this spring along with peas and potatoes (maybe it's a P thing??) and now they were ready to be harvested long, long before jack-o-lantern season. I admitted my foolishness to Jimmy during a conversation about farming and gardening and he asked why didn't I do pumpkin butter? Well, my knowledge of this delectable delight was even LESS than my knowledge of growing pumpkins in this area of the country so I replied quite intelligently "Say whut?" Thereafter he emailed me some great recipes but I decided on Shelley's and now I definitely have "A New Favorite" - Pumpkin Butter a la foolish gardener. Actually my 8yo said last night (immediately following her third piece of buttered toast with warm pumpkin butter) that she was very glad I had planted them too early or we never would have discovered such a treat! I have to agree! And the 10 golden brown jars on my counter make me think fall is not as far away as I thought.... Because you know - A pumpkin is a terrible thing to waste.

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

The Creech family will never be the same;)

Angela said...

HEY THERE!! I made some Peach Butter of my own this year. I learned how to can , so a garden is a MUST now : )

How are you? I am blogging at blogspot now. I am trying to keep up with my hsblgr friends but it is hard to find time in the day to track everyone down : )

"Talk" to you soon!
~Angela (formerly wakeforestmommy)
www.thebusymama.blogspot.com