Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Turn on the LIGHT!


Monday I was running some errands and had the radio on a local Christian station. Now for several years Katy has told us about Lamplighter books and Mark Hamby and even got us turned onto reading them - especially "Ishmael" and "Self-Raised" (both of which would change my rating chart because they are so far above almost everything else out there the rest wouldn't register on the scale compared to those books!). Anyway, here was this man on the radio (Mark Hamby) telling such a funny, believable and challenging personal testimony that I was captivated. It turns out that what my hubby and I have been talking a lot about lately (the wasting of time in front of the tube) is on a lot of people's hearts and minds. We don't have DVR or TiVO or anything similar and have only the basic satellite package (out in the country we have no cable and no good reception even with an external antennae) but since we really only enjoy about 3 or 4 shows during the week (Man vs Wild, Build It Bigger, How It's Made and re-runs of Andy Griffin!) we have questioned whether to have any. But it seems that when my hubby is in a mood to throw it out, I am wanting something to keep my attention while shelling butter beans or something and when I am in the mood to destroy it, he has had a tough week and just wants to "chill" with some sports event (which unless it's boxing usually does a very good job as a sleeping pill!). So here's the deal - we are reading and praying about this "Turn the Light On" campaign. Not sure we can go a whole month without any tv whatsoever but maybe that's the exact reason we need to do so! Read about the campaign and if you want to know more about Lamplighter Publishing, check them out, or read the latest news from Mark Hamby, too. Great alternative to the tube - I love to read anyway so what better choice and my hubby thinks it will be fun to have me read to him every night, too! We will see ...... stay tuned.... (sorry, bad pun!)

1 comment:

Beth said...

I have to say that a "No TV Month" is a very worthwhile effort. We haven't done it lately, but for a while we were doing it for about 1 month each year... just to clear the head and come together as a family in the evenings! We pulled the plug and planned other things in the evenings ~ reading, board games, walks, sewing / scrapbooking, etc. Heartily recommended.
<><