Friday, September 26, 2008

Book Updates

Some time back I wrote about how very much my daughter and I enjoyed the Elsie Dinsmore series. After we finished book 8 (there are 26 books , we discovered a newer series related to the Elsie series entitled "A Life of Faith" series. My 9yo has been reading these on her own (much more modern language than Elsie and somewhat less daunting in vocabulary) and absolutely loves them. She has finished all 8 of the "Millie Keith" series (Elsie's older cousin who has adventures such as helping slaves escape, going to Bolivia as a missionary and many other things). Now she's beginning the one book about Laylie, a slave who Millie had helped to escape. These books are unabashedly Christian, with prayers and scriptures by the characters making any young woman think seriously about her own commitment to Christ whatever life might bring, while at the same time very entertaining for a young mind in a wholesome way. If our library system is any indication, I am on the back side of learning about these books (some of them have a que of 9 or 10) and I am thrilled that not only are they available but that evidently so many young ladies have already discovered them and are checking them out. These are definite "must reads" for your 8-14 year-old daughters. My only negative about these books is that they weren't available for my oldest daughter many years ago !

No comments: