Saturday, February 2, 2008

Book Review

It's been a while since I talked about books but it's because I've been too busy reading them! I just have to tell you about the most precious books that I have been reading with my daughter - the Elsie Dinsmore series. I had seen them in various book catalogs for several years and felt that they were too young for my oldest daughter and too old for my youngest (confused yet?). Anyway, I got the first two books for my youngest daughter this Christmas from Vision Forum and am very sad that I never got them for the older daughter. They are the most wonderful books. No, not "fluff", just entertaining or even lighthearted. They are true literature in the best sense of the word. The author draws your heart immediately to that of little Elsie and as you suffer her troubles page by page you will be amazed at how wonderfully well this young girl meets every trial. It has so convicted me of my pettiness and selfish ways and embarrassed me to read to my own 9 year-old of a child her age who deals with life leaning on Jesus in a much deeper way than her own mother does. Other than the Holy Bible and The Cost of Discipleship I can honestly say that I do not recall a book ever convicting me of quite so much of my own need for maturing in my faith. If you want some excellent literature and are ready to make changes in your own Christian life, read the Elsie series (even if you don't have a daughter to read them to!).

No comments: