Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sept. 11th Lesson

Yesterday we had some running around to do and while in the van we had a "lesson" about September 11th and its meaning and history. EK was just a baby and EO wasn't born yet when this tragedy struck our nation. But I felt like they are now old enough to be told the basics of the significance of this day. We bought two small flags for each of them to place wherever they wanted and we got out a larger flag that we fly on special occasions. A friend had emailed me earlier with a reminder for how we all flew flags for weeks or months after 9/11/01 and how we need to remember that patriotism again on this anniversary. I wholeheartedly agree. Today it's raining again and my children were a little disappointed when I told them we would fly the larger flag inside the porch and not outside but that led to a "lesson" in caring for a flag, which I am sorry to say is mostly neglected these days. The children may not understand the full impact of 9/11 or the reasons behind the hatred for our country but they do fully understand that we love and appreciate our country and its freedoms. That's a big enough lesson for any of us.

No comments: