Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mama

Saturday my mother would have been 93. When I was younger I thought I would probably celebrate this birthday with her. My grandmother lived to be older than this so I thought Mama would, too. But she's been gone to be with her dear Savior for over 19 years now and I can still hear her voice explaining something gently to her oldest grandson; see her propping her chin on her hand as she finally sat down to rest from cooking and dishes; looking wistfully out the window on a cold, foggy winter day; fingers working frantically to finish hemming a dress for me; left hand on hip while skillfully flipping pancakes with her right hand; packing a basket of food for someone needy; and a hundred other little things. She always opened our home to visiting preachers and missionaries, youth groups from church, those who needed a hug or meal, a deaf girl from a troubled family, visiting relatives, neighbors who didn't have a way to cook or heat during power outages, and anyone who wanted to drop by at any time.

Mama had 6 brothers and 2 sisters (the 3 "girls" are shown above-my Mom on the left). Saturday we spent most of the day in the mountains visiting with my Aunt (Mama's only sister left living - in the center above and the youngest of the 9) and her husband on their 66th anniversary (yes, they got married on my mother's birthday!!). We then went just down the road to visit with my mother's only living brother and his wife. They are all in their 80s and 90s but full of life and it was just an extra special time for me and mine to share time with them. Aunt Lurleen even sent us home with a tin full of her famous peanut butter fudge!! Yummm!!! Since it is only once a year (or less) that I get up that way I really cherish the opportunity to share time with them. And of course the mountains were beautiful and we even squeezed in time to picnic and hike to Whitewater Falls Saturday morning and stopped by an Apple Orchard on our way home Sunday. You can take the girl out of the mountains...... but she will always miss them :) !!

No comments: