Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year's Revelations

[Yes, I meant revelations and not resolutions, although I am very adapt adopt adept at not only mixing words but also names of friends and even those of my own children... but that's another story.]

A New Year. Over 2,000 years since our Savior was born. Amazing to think about, really. But right now I want to think about just one year. 2008. A year of heartaches and sorrows, joys and beginnings, new friendships, old friends growing dearer. A year where I started out with wonderful resolutions.
Going to lose a few pounds. I did, by May even!, then found it and a few friends to go with it by the end of the year. Failure #1.
Going to go to bed by 11pm and rise by 6:30am every day. Did better, now consider midnight "late" instead of 1 or 2am, consider 7:30 late in the morning, so made some progress but not yet there. Failure #2.
Going to eat healthier and get more exercise. Let's just say that wasn't too successful either. So,
OK, the resolutions weren't great successes and I won't depress you with the multitude of them that the year held. Do I just forget about them for 2009? Not at all. Because I've made progress toward my goals and need to set new ones. Do I know that I can't be successful in all of them? Of course. You see, that's the best part. I AM a failure, a slacker, a self-centered, prideful bungler. But I keep going. And it's not because of the tortoise and the hare kind of persevering morality. It's not because of who I am but whose I am. Knowing that Christ loves me for the wreck that I am, loving me more than my mind or heart can understand. So I set goals to try to be more like the One who loves me the most. And this year I will fail again. But with His help, I'll move forward, spend more time with Him, and be thankful for every step of the way, even the failures.

2 comments:

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Faye...getting a little too personal there with my toes :-) I'm glad you're my friend.

Jane said...

Faye,

Thank you for "keeping it real"...you are so transparent and like Sylvia said I am so glad you are my friend.

Love ya,
Renee