Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fun in School This Week

Monday we took a few minutes to read "The Great Race: The Story of the Chinese Zodiac", discussed Chinese New Year, found China on the maps and globe, talked about oxen and had Chinese stir-fry for dinner. Tuesday was Mozart's birthday but with other pressing matters we actually listened to his music while we did school on Wednesday. The children also drew pictures of him and we talked about what life was like in Europe during the late 1700s when he was alive and talked about what it would be like to be composing music by the age of five. This worked very well with the fact that this week we "left" Australia behind in Social Studies and traveled over to Europe, beginning with Switzerland. Since my oldest son and daughter went through a tip of Switzerland this summer we looked at some of their pictures online. Thursday night's meal is fondue with homemade Zopf (with wheat flour instead of white - we will see ;)!) and a meat stew (not pork neck as recommended, but beef stew - I'm not very advernturous with food) and anise cookies for dessert. We have really traveled the world and through time this week )!

1 comment:

Jane said...

Oh, I really feel like an under achiever when I look at what you are doing in "school". Let's see, I guess we could have done mini unit in germs...goodness sakes, we have had a house full since Tuesday. I hope Emma doesn't come down with anything. I came home from Piano, turned on the heating blanket and shook until I could get warm.

We did get the wonderful experience of serving each other in bed, ha, ha. A trip to China sure sounds much nicer than a trip to "germ city". Anyway, I am much better today, Mikayla is being served today.

Hope ya'll have a good weekend. GO CARDINALS!!!

Renee