Monday, January 26, 2009

Blessed be the tie that binds....

Today I was sifting through some old family photos looking for one to re-scan for a cousin who wants to use it in a book about "Mountain Kinfolk". You know what looking through photos does to you, whether they are 50 days or 50 years old. Memories light the corners of my mind.... OK, I promise not to sing! So here's a favorite photo of my "Pop" who most definitely set the moon in the sky just for me when I was about 3. As I thought about Pop and his wonderful sense of humor I remembered something funny he said one time. He told me that when he died he didn't want any of the men to have to wear ties. He said he never could understand how anyone could sing "Blessed be the tie that binds" when that's all ties did - bind you up and strangle you! So he wanted no ties, and he wanted everyone to wear white or bright colors because he just knew that when he went to heaven nobody would be wearing dark colors and he wanted us to think about that. After he died, my Grandmother carried out all his wishes for his funeral, which he had told her in detail. He had the choir sing "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder" and.... yep...as the family was ready to leave for the graveside he had them sing.... "Blessed be the tie that binds"! Wanted us to remember the real meaning of the words, and it made me smile on a day when my heart was breaking. His memory still makes me smile.

No comments: