Saturday, June 28, 2008

Blankets for Orphans

A Guatemala con Amor
A Guatemala con Amor means "To Guatemala with Love"


There are 370,000 children in Guatemala who are orphaned. Many of these children are living in orphanages and have nothing to call their own. Our mission is to give them a handknit doll to hug or a handknit blanket to cuddle when they need comfort.

If you know how to knit you can help.

We are collecting:
· Rainbow babies, here is the link to the pattern to knit these cute cuddly babies http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/Images/Rainbow_Babies.pdf
· Knitted blankets of any size
· Knitted 12 X 12 Squares


Please use washable yarn in bright cheerful colors.
If you are making a blanket please put a heart somewhere on it. The heart can be any size or color and placed anywhere on the blanket. You could either knit it into the pattern or stitch it on.

Because there are children of all sizes we need blankets of many sizes. Older children benefit from a handmade "blankey" as much as newborns.
***********************************************************
I don't knit or crochet (insert gasp and finger pointing head shake here!). My Grandmothers were both great with any craft needle but I just never learned. Fortunately my 19yo is great with a crochet needle and I plan to start my 9yo daughter this fall. In the meantime, this "old dog who has a hard time learning new tricks" is going to put her sewing machine to use. With scraps cut from old clothes that a local Goodwill-type store usually throws out, there are several of us who will make quilts that can be sold to help pay shipping for these "babies" and/or mailed along with them. If you don't knit, crochet or sew, maybe you can have a yard sale to raise money for orphans, make cards and letters to encourage them, send toiletry items that you get on sale, etc. Where there is a will, there's a way....to help orphans!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

..I don't knit very well... do they accept crochet? I can do a blanket or two if they do...

Anonymous said...

I can't knit at all (shocker, I know!) but I do crochet, do they accept that? and by the way, I would LOVE to teach you how anytime you're interested. Maybe around the first of the new year we can just plan to have a crochet lesson/baby visit together :)

Faye Creech said...

L&L -
Yes, I spoke to Judy and she said they would love to have the babies or blankets crocheted as well as knit. Another friend is collecting them in WF so once you have any let me know and we can figure out how to get them where they need to go easiest. THANKS Ladies!!!
-F