Saturday, May 3, 2008

More reading

I am still not finished reading "The St. Andrews Seven" but also have two other books "going". Typically I read two or three books simultaneously, usually of different styles and content. I know, sounds weird, but it works for this weird reader! Right now since "St. Andrews" is historically based, I'm also reading "The Four Loves" by CS Lewis to challenge me spiritually, and "Next Door Savior" by Max Lucado as a lighter break from the other reading. Lucado's books are great to pick up (in the bathroom usually!), read a quick chapter, and then lay aside until another time. I have taken days or even weeks between chapters in his books and enjoyed them just as well as if I had read them in one sitting. And of course the CS Lewis book is a classic that I am "chewing on", reading and rereading to absorb all of the ideas and trying to do some heart application with them. Right now for Bible I am getting ready to read John through, using my Matthew Henry Commentary as I do so. My 9yo is reading it separately but on the same schedule so we can discuss it daily or at least several times a week. This is the first time I'm doing this with her and I look forward to it. My hubby is still in a very intensive study of Genesis but frankly I was ready to get back into the New Testament so we will continue to gain his insight in Genesis as he continues that.
What are you reading right now or plan to read over the summer?

1 comment:

Megan Penner said...

Sweet Faye -- What an inspiration you are! I cannot wait until I can read through books of the Bible with my children. :) I have started going through Romans with a commentary my sister bought me for graduation. I'm hoping to get through the book (and commentary) by the time Bella Joy is born! It is such a blessing to have a friend who is actively loving the Lord with all her mind, as well as heart and body. I know that God will bless you throughout the summer as you draw close to Him in a vital and living relationship. You are an example!! Love you!