Sunday, April 27, 2008

"The St. Andrews Seven"

Somewhere? in all my browsing of Book catalogs (my favorite hobby!) I ran across a reference to the "St. Andrews Seven" who had a major impact not only on their native Scotland but upon many nations and the Missionary movement of the 1800s. Since my oldest 3 children were enrolled in a school by that famous name and we also attended a church for a short time overseas with the name, it caught my attention. I got the book on inter-library loan and am completely amazed at how much I have gleaned from this "accidental" treasure! Firstly, the main character of the book (and professor to the six students) was a man by the name of Thomas Chalmers (good name, huh, my Chalmers friends?!) and I am itching to find a good biography about him to read as soon as I finish the "Seven" book. He firmly believed that morals produce economic good, not the other way around (I think our current modern society has proven him correct!). He also believed that no one should ever be pushed or forced into religion but that if we truly believed in Christ's atonement, we would live in such a way as to draw others to Christ. Here is one of the quotes from the book that I have copied down already (I am only part way through the book and have copied 5 quotes!): "Our response to Christ's commands should be determined by what we can do in His strength, not by what we might fail to do in ours. "
(Ouch!! I needed that!!)

No comments: