Friday, February 1, 2008

GOD's way... God's Timing

Every woman aches to hold babies in her arms. Forget what culture says, what others may tell you - in your heart of hearts you know it is true. We were created that way. For that very purpose. And sometimes if you are not holding a child or children, your ache almost overwhelms you. I have dear sisters who are right now tending newborns, nurturing children in the womb, rejoicing over grandchildren, waiting for adoption papers to be finalized and every one of them knows that there is nothing in this world as wonderful as a life. I have other friends who are heartbroken over the fact that for some reason God is not opening their womb.
Sunday morning our Bible study in Genesis was God's promise to Abraham of descendants. And it struck me so clearly that sometimes I try to be like Sarah. I try to get ahead of God's timing. I try to do something in a way that is not His. I am so anxious to fulfill His promises (like HE needs ME!?!) that I get all upset about how things are not going like I foresaw them, like I planned. So it was a beautiful reminder Sunday to me that I need to wait. And listen. It was 11 years after God called Abraham out of Ur before Ishmael was born. It was 13 more years before the true promised son, Isaac, was born. How impatient we are! God's timing is perfect and I get upset if things don't happen in a matter of days! From now on every time I get impatient or try to do things my way instead of God's, just look at me and quietly say "Ishmael". What heartaches for generations to come will my impatience and self-will cause? Ishmael. Don't get ahead of God. And don't try to fulfill someone else's calling. Ishmael.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Okay... you know I needed to hear that.
Love,
B

Matt Brogli said...

ironic how God uses everyday things to confirm something to us! Matt & I read from Genesis this week too, and my head and heart reeled at the thought of waiting 10 or 15 years for my kids to be born! i know he is preparing us still, but it's so easy to get impatient. thank you for writing this and reminding me that God's timing and plan are what's important, even if it's incomprehensible to us.