Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What happens when you pray...

A dear older Christian friend once told me "If you want to see trials and tribulations, try praying." She is one of the most remarkable prayer warriors I have ever known. So here I post "Prayer Requests" last Thursday and then things sort of went downhill, reminding me of her warning.

Friday was my MIL's 69th birthday and I must say that I am very blessed to have a Christian mother-in-law who dearly loves her children and grandchildren. Over the years we have (of course) seen many things in life differently but neither of us has ever doubted the love we each have for our shared family. Not only have I learned things from her but I am amazed how she has been open to learn things from her children and grandchildren. May I never reach the point that I am not willing to learn, especially and most importantly, spiritual truths.
Anyway, early on the morning of her birthday she got "the" call from her doctor. The lymphoma has returned, is in several places this time and we go tomorrow to hear the pros/cons of surgery, radiation and/or chemo.

Then Friday afternoon they called my brother-in-law to say he needed to rush to the coast because his mother was very close to the end. Not unexpected but she has rebounded so many times when the doctors thought it was the end that honestly we all were just not really expecting it to finally come. She passed away on Sat., so Sunday morning we fed the dogs for all 3 families (2 had already gone down), got what clothes everyone needed and drove 2 more vehicles down. My dh and oldest daughter came back Sunday night but the youngest ones and I stayed on until all the arrangements were over.

I get back home Tuesday night and find out that a dear, sweet friend has found out that she has cervical cancer. She has a son on the front lines in Iraq. She has had many trials and tribulations over the years and has a quiet faith that just feels like sunshine every time I read her writing or am in her presence. My heart aches for her and her family.

Then another email let me know that my friend at church whose 26 year-old brother has been battling brain cancer had passed away very quickly after having to be taken to the ER. As far as she knows her brother was not a believer and my heart just breaks to think of the pain she is suffering and the judgment awaiting him. How our Heavenly Father's heart must break for all of those around us who have not accepted his free gift of Salvation through Jesus' bloody sacrifice. It makes me so remorseful to think of all the time and energy I waste on "hay and stubble" instead of reaching out to the lost!

So is this what to expect when you pray? Yes, I think so, at least sometimes. But it is precisely the pain and suffering and aching and crying that make us more able to pray. And the prayers make us more able to hear God's voice in the midst of troubles. For after the shock and anger and tears these words have the most meaning:
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33
What an amazing promise!!

1 comment:

Matt and Lindsey said...

Lindsey and I always love reading your posts as we see you as an inspiration to our faith and as a wonderful woman of God. I hate that you must endure all of these hard times around you, but I remember that these are not new tragedies, just new people that they are happening to. (Eccl. 1:9-14). Praise God that He remains the same even when our lives do not! I am praying for you.