Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thought for This Season

In times of stress, in times when I am pressured to focus on "stuff", in times when I feel too rushed, these are the words that I try to remember:

The whole point of getting things done is knowing what to leave undone.
-Oswald Chambers

The devil gets us to focus on good things when what GOD wants for us are the best things.
-Bertha Smith (missionary to China for 40 years and a great pray-er who taught personal confession of sin as the basis for growing in the LORD)

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal." Matthew 6:19-20
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Mark 8:36

(This last verse is one that I got a sticker of when I was a teen and went to hear Miss Smith teach. I put it in the front of my Bible and unfortunately chose to ignore it (and most of the Bible) for almost 15 years! It is now my "life" verse that brings me back to reality every time I go astray - usually several times a day!) May you think about your "life" verse today and hold tight to its truths and promises as you go about this busy HOLYday season.
-F

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Faye,

Read your post yesterday, but was out shopping for "stuff" so didn't have time to post comment. I love the quote from Mrs. Smith. Thanks for the reality check.

Love ya,
Renee
Merry CHRISTmas!