Sunday, December 21, 2008

I am Glad that People Protest Nativity Scenes

Shocking, huh? Yes, I am glad, even thrilled that some people are so up at arms and upset and protest against having nativity scenes on public property. Before you write "heretic" by my name hear me out. When my daughter was in an Asian country a couple of years ago, a country that bans Christian missionaries and the spreading of the gospel by both foreigners and nationals, she was shocked to see Nativity scenes in public squares and shopping centers. How could they allow this when they were so adamant about opposing Christianity? As she pondered it and asked her American hosts about it, a local national overheard their conversation and in broken English said "You talking about that?" and pointed to the manger scene complete with a baby Jesus. "Yes" they replied in unison. "Oh, you no know that is? That when Santa Claus born!" he smiled broadly back at them. What a heartbreak for my daughter and her hosts when they realized the horrible commercialized impact of western society on this country filled with millions who had never heard the name Jesus. Oh, they knew "CocaCola", "Santa" and even "WalMart" in English but had never heard the one name that could change their lives for eternity.

So yes, I am glad that there are those in our country who get upset about a nativity scene in a public place. It helps to clarify the meaning of the scene - not that a regular baby or a superhero or a legend or a nice fictional character was born, but a Divine, Eternal, King of Kings Savior who left his heavenly throne to die on a cruel cross for my sin. Let us be thankful that the name of Jesus Christ has been and always will be something that makes people uncomfortable if they do not believe and rejoice beyond words if they do believe. And let us pray that those who have been fed distorted lies can hear the true meaning of that manger and that cross. In whatever country they live.

2 comments:

Audge said...

YAY! Everytime I've tried to write on your blog before, it never worked! I'm not sure why?? I'm so glad to finally be able to tell you that your comments have always been so UPLIFTING to me! Thank you! I pray that you and your family shine bright for Jesus this Christmas season. And that you enjoy your time together!! ;) I'm so honored that you keep up with my blog. Also I'm happy to have to have been used to help you find your Isaiah verse, wonderful :) Blessings to y'all!!

Beth said...

huh.....I wonder if anyone is this country makes that same mistake? Have a blessed Christmas as we celebrate the fact that God came to us and became flesh, John 3:16

<><