Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Quick Update

Well, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. In the past week +, we battled yet another round of flu, had my MIL taken to the ER twice and lots of "little" things along with just life in general. Praise! My MIL is somewhat better even though her BP is still very high and they have changed her meds three times now, but her EKGs and other tests don't show anything to be alarmed about so they are just assuming for now that the "stroke level BP" she had (280/189 at one point and 260/170 at the other) was due to changing her meds two weeks ago. The doctors don't seem to know exactly why her BP is still so high but for now she is being careful to monitor what she eats and try to get a little more exercise.

A friend had a new baby and unfortunately we haven't been in good enough health to help out until last Thursday and then we have been too busy. Friday another friend and I finally got to spend the whole day together after rescheduling 3 times due to sickness in one family or the other (she does the same curriculum we do and we like to get together once in a while to encourage each other and let the children share time together). Yesterday and today was our annual testing required by our state so we got up at 6am and tested from 7:45 until 2:45 yesterday and then tested again 8am till noon today. Thankfully that is done and also thankfully my MIL was well enough to watch my 6yo (he doesn't do this type of test until next spring) since the Mom who was supposed to keep my 6yo while I proctored tests had the flu (along with several of her children). Tomorrow we have a couple of appointments and somewhere between this afternoon before Awanas tonight I have to do some ironing since my hubby needs clothes to wear to work (I did laundry all day Monday)!

Friday we have a "Spring Field Day" where the children will compete in several races and sports including the 100-yard dash, 3-legged race (their favorite), frisbee throw, etc. Our family is marching on to the field with the flag from Vietnam so tomorrow we are painting yellow stars on our red t-shirts (like the Vietnamese flag) and I am trying to download the Vietnamese national anthem onto CD to use for the awards ceremony. Should be lots of fun - I'll try to remember my camera since lately I have forgotten to take it along to everything we've done!

I've not shopped in quite a while but that's OK since we stocked the freezer and pantry during tripes at Harris Teeter a few weeks ago. I even had bread in the freezer to use for our lunches we had to carry! It really has been wonderful to be so well stocked.

The oldest children are really getting cranked up with papers and tests and getting down to the wire for the end of the semester. I would love to see more of them but am glad that they all are doing well in school and seem to be making wise choices during these college years. A wonderful thing to be thankful for these days !

That's mostly it for us for now - I'll try to be more creative once I catch my breath. Hope each of you are healthy and enjoying a beautiful day in the Lord -
-F

No comments: