Thursday, January 24, 2008

“See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the LORD your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess." Deut. 30:15-16

This afternoon I thought life and death was set before me. A phone call from a sweet sister in Christ made me weep for joy over the news of the new life beginning that is truly a gift from God. Less than an hour later we received news of a wonderful Godly man who had fought the fight so well and gone to be with the Savior that he loved so dearly. It is such an honor to have my heart ache with joy for a new life and to ache with sorrow for the loving wife left behind, both dear sisters who have helped me along life's way so well. But we "sorrow not as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him." So then I realized that really what was set before me was not life and death but life -- and life. Earthly life just beginning to grow and Eternal life just beginning, too. Life. Both kinds given by the Heart of a Loving God, unable to be bought or shaped by human hands, priceless beyond all measure, given to undeserving sinners. How can we not be in awe of such a God as this?!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Such insight is only possible when you are in tune with the One who gives and takes away ~ evidence of a submissive heart seeking after God.
Love you, Faye.
<><

Megan Penner said...

Oh, Faye! I love you so much!