Tuesday, January 22, 2008

America's Idols

Why do we all love to watch American Idol and see those who have no talent but think so highly of themselves? Why do we all want others to get the "fall" their pride deserves but never want to get it ourselves? False humility is deceitful but so is false pride. And that's probably our nation's biggest problem - false pride. And it begins --- (I swallow hard here) -- with me. How can the nation's pride problem be fixed if I don't truly humble myself on my knees before a Righteous and Holy and Awesome GOD? Today I began a new commitment - to really, truly commit to daily humbling myself before God. Hold me accountable, will ya, because this old prideful heart is mighty strong. Thankfully GOD is stronger if I will just rely on HIM and not on myself (again).

"None are so empty as those who are full of themselves."
- Andrew Jackson


A man’s pride will bring him low,
But the humble in spirit will retain honor.
- Proverbs 29:23

Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
- Deut. 8: 11- 14


2 comments:

Beth said...

We are also American Idol watchers! Thanks for using it to point out where we all should be - on our knees in humility before our Lord.
Hope you're having a good week.
<><
Beth

Megan Penner said...

a-MEN, Faye! Thank you for a much-needed reminder to be on my knees before a HOLY God! Love you!