Monday, January 14, 2008

No place like Mi Casa!

What a wonderful trip we had to Mexico and how very blessed we feel to be gifted with a free trip there. I really am very grateful for the opportunity to visit such a beautiful resort with such wonderful service and people and most of all to have a "get away" with my hubby. The surroundings, weather, food, service were all almost too perfect to believe. The first evening we arrived barely in time for the welcome dinner and then explored the hotel a little.


Thursday we took a cab to the nearest town and played "tourists" in some of the shops, resting later and enjoying a nice meal at the hotel.




The trip over to Chichen Itza on early Friday (here I am as we watched the sun rise over the Caribbean before boarding our bus) was the highlight. "Chicken Pizza" is the nickname - the Mayan/Mexican people have such a great sense of humor!.



I had wanted to see these ruins since my High School Spanish teacher told us about them and Machu Picchu many, many years ago.





Our tour guide Miguel was fantastic and I think he wins walking races!




I don't know about you but it gives me the creeps to stand in places where hundreds or thousands were brutally sacrificed to "the gods" and although we learned several things that we had previously had misconceptions about the fact remains that this place of scientific wonder and mathematical achievement was also a place of almost unthinkable violence.










One of the most interesting things we learned was how in the 1500s a Spanish explorer described Chichen Itza as "ruins" and the Mayan people have records showing that it had been abandoned more than 300 years before the first Europeans arrived.



Now it's been a long time since I studied the Mayans with my other children and I had let Hollywood's portrayals influence my knowledge. Just a reminder of how vulnerable I am to incorrect information, especially of the visual kind! And a good reminder to stay grounded in the truth, especially when it comes to the really important things like spiritual truths!


We met some of the sweetest people, including these children who sang a song for us. We spent the whole day going/being at/returning from Chicken Pizza (and a nearby Mayan restaurant and show), and Saturday hung out on the beach/lagoon/pool enjoying the fish, water, sun and beauty. It was really nice and not any trouble traveling (charter flights are so great compared to commercial!). The children were good for Gran so all in all a very good trip. But somehow my old queen bed in my little house sleeps so much better than that fancy king-sized one in that massive hotel - isn't it funny that way?

2 comments:

Beth said...

Welcome home! Glad you and D had a fun, relaxing time away together.

<><
Beth

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!! I've been waiting for an update.... So glad you had a great time