Saturday, December 22, 2007

Christmas Ponderings

We finished reading "Jotham's Journey" today (yeah, two days early but we just couldn't wait!) and every time I finish it I am in deep thought about why the King of Kings would stoop to being born in a dirty, smelly stable, live a very rough and poor life, be beaten and scorned and nailed to a cross - for who? For me - who goes about every day as if life is all about me. It's beyond understanding with my head or my heart. Yet somehow something in all of us knows it rings true. This weekend we visit those who have nothing to offer us - just like we have nothing to offer our Savior. Like the neighbor who just had her husband leave suddenly wiping out her bank account and taking everything of value, including her heart and self-esteem. Pray with us that each person we visit will understand that the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus is a gift we can never buy or work for but is free and ready to be given.
And it's for people like me who go about as if life is about me.
He loves us anyway. He proved it on the cross. He offers a new life to us and the empty tomb showed His Power to make that offer.
Amazing.
Messiah. Immanuel. Redeemer.
Hope for the Hopeless.
Healer of Broken Hearts.
Savior.
LORD.
JESUS CHRIST.

No comments: