Friday, October 3, 2008

Field Trip

Earlier this week we went with some friends to the "Country Doctor Museum". I had taken my second and third children years ago (when I was pregnant with #4 I think?) and it was interesting then but they have added a lot of things and our tour guide was great! The herb garden was still in nice shape (it hasn't frosted yet) so the children got to grind their own herbal mixture and see the "pill shaper" demonstrated. One of the most interesting things to us was the iron lung machine (my mother had polio and although she wasn't put into an iron lung because there weren't any in her part of the country in the late 1920s it really helped my children relate to the trauma and severity of the disease). The children loved seeing the amputation kits from the Civil War and we even saw someone with our last name on the old docto's ledger from the Depression Era. Unfortunately (actually I think fortunately!) their leeches had recently died and the new ones hadn't yet arrived! If you're ever in the area, it's well worth stopping by to see.

No comments: