Saturday, October 25, 2008

Am I a "Princess"?

Recently I had the chance to complain about share my experiences about someone that has been somewhat frustrating to deal with lately with a friend who has a similar case she has to deal with daily. In our conversation, I realized that we both were describing the people who were frustrating us so much as being "a princess". Now, mind you, these are both older women we were discussing (yeah, even older than ME!) and they deserved our respect - but sometimes it's just plain hard!! Anyway, I was greatly convicted of being judgmental (as well as disrespectful) and after having confessed with my partner in crime sister that I was wrong to vent, and most of all wrong to even have those frustrated, judgmental thoughts to begin with, I then proceeded to ask the Lord to reveal to me if I was being "the princess" in my own home/family/circle of friends. [I love calling my daughters "princesses", but you know the difference between "princess" and "prince-hiss" as well as I do.] And of course, looking in the mirror is so much harder than looking at others, so yes, I had to admit that often my own motives, actions and words are purely selfish and not the least bit considerate of others. It's frustrating to have older women who not only fall short of your "Titus 2" expectations but are simply harder to deal with than your preschooler, but I am so far short of the "Titus 2" ideals myself that I have my work cut out for me right here and now. I do want to be a Daughter of the King, just not a "princess". And the only way I know to try to be such is to quit looking at others and focus on the One who I want to be more like. Only with HIS help can I quit being the wicked witch and grow into something more like what my sister and I (and most other women) desire. "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" is one of my favorite hymns and now I want to make it a daily prayer. Keep me accountable, will you?

2 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Faye,

Like your blog's new look. Feeling better, hope you got my message Friday. See ya tomorrow. I will pick her up.

Your sis,
Renee

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

You will always be a true princess, daughter of the King, in my eyes...