Friday, July 11, 2014

What if the nation of Israel is wiped out?

Would the end of the world, the return of Christ be imminent if the nation of Israel as we know it ceased to exist?
Would your faith in Christ be shaken or destroyed if Christ did not return immediately if Israel was destroyed by her enemies?

These are questions I have asked others lately and put them into a panic.  In all honesty I am asking not because I have any definitive answers but because they are so very sure that they do.  You see, as I read and study the scriptures more I see that each of us reads and studies from a very closed cultural context, and a very self-centered one at that.  Just a few days ago I heard several Christians state that if America were destroyed, it would of course mean that the end of the world was here.  Since I have had the privilege of international travel, and have a wonderful believing son-in-law from another country, I see things quite a bit differently.  The end of America as a democracy or country might coincide with Christ's return.  But how very self-centered (and incorrect!) we are to think that Christ's eternal Kingdom is dependent on America!  But what about Israel - "God's chosen nation"?  Isn't its very existence a fulfillment of prophecy of end times?

Firstly, we must remember that the nation of Israel as it exists is not the Israel of the Old Testament.  Are the descendants of Abraham special to God?  Certainly.  But who are the descendants of Abraham?  Romans 4 tells us "This is why the promise is by faith, so that it may be according to grace, to guarantee it to all the descendants - not only to those who are of the law but also to those who are of Abraham's faith.  He is the father of us all in God's sight.  As it is written: I have made you the father of many nations.  He believed in God, who gives life to the dead and calls things into existence that do not exist.  He believed, hoping against hope, so that he became the father of many nations according to what had been spoken: So will your descendants be."

Who is Israel?  WE are Israel.  Romans 4 concludes: "Therefore, it was credited to him for righteousness. Now it was credited to him was not written for Abraham alone, but also for us. It will be credited to us who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. He was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification."

Secondly, many are trying to affix a date, a time, of the end.  Yes, we are to look for ripening of the ages with scripture in hand.  But this is so that each generation can be aware of the brevity of life, the need for being ready at any moment to step from this "shadowland" into the reality of eternity.  Too many people are looking to the nation of Israel as a "sign".  Beware of signs, especially those that satisfy our need to label others, to boost our already too-large ego, or to draw us away from growing in Christ as we use our time and energy to satisfy our curiosity.  “Now concerning that day and hour no one knows—neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son —except the Father only."  Matthew 24:36

Much of my life I have looked at things (and often still do) from a temporal, "this-is-my-little-world" view rather than the universal and eternal view that the Lord has.  Certainly my finite mind and soul cannot begin to comprehend the complexity and longevity that the Lord could show me, but at least over the years He has allowed me to see how very tiny and extremely self-centered my view usually is.  And for some reason He has allowed me to see that others are caught in the web of deceit concerning the nation of Israel.

** Please don't misunderstand - I stand strongly with Israel and will do whatever I can to support not only her existence but her strength.   Most of all her people are in my prayers as I long to see her multitudes see the hope of the true Messiah and not to place their hope of peace in a worldly nation.  But just as I do not think Christ is dependent on America's existence to carry out the plan for His eternal Kingdom, I do not think He is dependent on the existence of the state of Israel, the nation of Great Britain, the house churches in China or the Islamic state of Iran to carry out His will.  Will He use each of these nations and the individuals in them for His purposes?  Of course.  But He is Sovereign and Eternal and Omnipotent and the nations are in His hands.

"For the kingdom is the Lord’s,
And He rules over the nations."
Psalm 22:28


No comments: