Friday, June 5, 2009

Asia, oh, Asia!!

For those who have known me a long time, you know I have had a heart for the millions, yes, millions, of lost in Asia. When I was 18 I had the privilege of attending a retreat of an amazing woman of God who had spent more than 40 years as a missionary to Asia during times of war, famine, and revival! On my first job, my best friend was from Vietnam and her grandparents had migrated from China to Vietnam to escape WWII only to be caught up in the Vietnam war. Later two of my dear friends spent a year in an orphanage in East Asia and I was able to "go" with them through prayer. Then my oldest daughter began to beg to learn Chinese, and through God's amazing "coincidences" we found a local Chinese language school that just "happened" to be starting classes for Americans at the time she began High School. That was topped off by our cousins leaving the Philippines after 30 years of service there and going into an East Asian country, allowing our daughter to go visit. Also during the past 10 years my hubby and I have prayed for a minority group in Southeast Asia, considered adoption (but were too old), sponsored a couple of people to go, been on two eloops for the minority group pray-ers, and had a couple in our church travel to Vietnam to work in orphanages and medical clinics. It has amazed me how God has allowed us to be part of HIS work there! And now, very unexpectedly, I too plan to go to Asia in October with my oldest daughter and several friends. We will stay on a University campus and work with students on their English skills. It will be a very short trip, but I know it will be both life-changing and rewarding beyond my imagination. God has been so very good to allow us this opportunity. Please pray for us, for the students that we will meet, for our health and travel safety, for Americans who are there teaching English. And take a few minutes to praise the Lord for technology that can be used for good as well as evil, can help us understand the vast need for the truth of the gospel message to be carried around the world and can tie us together in prayer in ways that weren't possible even a few years ago.

No comments: