Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Why I Judge Others

I've been thinking a lot lately about how easily I judge others. For their lifestyles, their choices, their looks, basically anything about them that I can observe or hear about. It's so much easier to judge other people than to deal with the mess in my own heart. Yeah, mess. No matter how "together" or "mature" or even "spiritual" I may look, I know that in my heart is one big mess - no make that lots and lots of big messes! Mostly these things are centered around my self-centeredness (just count the times I've already written "I" or "me" already in this paragraph!). It's easy and comfortable and even self-gratifying to be judgmental of others. It's hard, painful and very gut-wrenching to judge my own heart. I think maybe I'll tie a mirror around my neck to remind me of who I should be judging. And maybe, just maybe, if I spend more time helping others I'll have less time to judge them.
Luke 6:37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

1 comment:

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Ooh, I think I saw myself in that mirror :-(