Friday, June 22, 2007

Book Report

I just finished 3 books - 2 about Learning Styles and 1 compilation of essays about the educational system by John Taylor Gatto. I had read (OK, confession time, not really read, more like scanned) "The Way They Learn" by Cynthia Tobias a few years ago. This time I read it, along with "Talkers, Watchers and Doers" by Cheri Fuller. Both very worthwhile to challenge me to not only teach to my childrens' learning styles (versus my own) but also good ideas in how to develop their weaknesses. The book by Gatto "A Different Kind of Educator" was great (as always - his books really make me think out of the box!) and an encouragement to make sure that I teach my children to think, not just recite. All three books are really good for anyone who teaches or is any way associated with the teaching of children.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I also have "scanned" Cynthia Tobias's book. Haven't read the other two.
I just started Dr. Dobson's "Life on the Edge", with the plan to have the olders all read it as well.
B